Uninflect a Term
- Short Description: Reduce the input term to its uninflected form(s).
- Full Description:
Lvg can uninflect both words and terms. That is, it can make plural nouns in to singular nouns, inflected verbs into their infinitive forms, and adjectives and adverbs into their positive forms.
When the -m flag is specified, the fact or rule that was used to do the uninflection is added after the standard set of lvg output fields.
An additional heuristic has also been implemented within the inflectional morphology unit to limit spurious variants. If a term goes through an inflectional morphology mutation (-f:i, -f:B, -f:b), and the term is not known to the lexicon, but its rule generated form is known to the lexicon, this variant is thrown out, because it is likely to be wrong. This heuristic is only overruled when the -ki flag is set to return all forms
The results are sorted by alphabetical order, category.
- The inflection scheme is redesigned in the Java version. A new database table for fact inflection is created. Accordingly, results are different.
- The Java version stores cases of each uninflected term in data base (IDB). In a word, results are case sensitive.
- The order of display will be sorted by the frequency of category, then by dictionary order.
- After lvg 2004 release, output filter function -CR:oc is added to this flow component as default. In other words, only one base form (with same spelling) for one category shows on the output.
- After lvg 2006 release, information of irreg variants for spelling variants are added in LEXICON. Accordingly, this flow returns the corresponding base form. For examples, club-feet will return club-foot.
- The input term is viewed as a term.
- This term is looked up to find the uninflected form(s) by fact and rules.
shell> lvg -f:b -m slept slept|sleep|1024|1|b|1|FACT|slept|verb|past|sleep|verb|base|E0056246| standbys standbys|standby|128|1|b|1|FACT|standbys|noun|plural|standby|noun|base|E0320368| stand-bys stand-bys|stand-by|128|1|b|1|FACT|stand-bys|noun|plural|stand-by|noun|base|E0320368| alpha beta alpha beta|alpha beta|1|1|b|1|RULE|$|adj|base|$|adj|base alpha beta|alpha beta|2|1|b|1|RULE|$|adv|base|$|adv|base alpha beta|alpha beta|128|1|b|1|RULE|$|noun|base|$|noun|base alpha beta|alpha beta|1024|1|b|1|RULE|$|verb|base|$|verb|base alpha beta|alpha beton|128|512|b|1|RULE|a$|noun|plural|on$|noun|singular alpha beta|alpha betum|128|512|b|1|RULE|a$|noun|plural|um$|noun|singular shell> lvg -f:b -CR:o slept slept|sleep|1024|1|b|1| alpha beta alpha beta|alpha beta|1155|1|b|1| alpha beta|alpha beton|128|512|b|1| alpha beta|alpha betum|128|512|b|1|More examples
- Find all uninflected form(s) for the input term.
- Find uninflected terms from fact (Lexicon Database).
- If no result from fact, find uninflected terms from rule (Trie).
- Filter out terms from the result (generated by rules) if it is in Lexicon Database.
- Combine record if the spelling of base form and the category are the same.
- Sort results by alphabetical order, category.